Outlook 2013 has a brand new look. It’s cleaner. It’s designed to help you focus on what’s important with a clear view of email, calendars, and contacts. You'll be able to communicate more effectively by connecting efficiently with others.
You'll be able to handle messages better, because you can see everything you need to know at a glance. Preview messages in the message list, so you'll know which ones to read and act on first. Reply with just a click—you can type your response right in the reading pane. Or flag, delete, or mark messages read or unread right in the message pane so you can keep moving as fast as you need to without having to slow down to open individual messages.
- The People Card collects all the key details about a contact in one place: phone, email, address, company info, social media updates, even whether they’re available. From the card, you can schedule a meeting, send an instant message, or give them a call, making it a one-stop shop for all communication.
- Your calendar can tell you much more than just the time of your next appointment. You can add your local weather forecast right there in Calendar view, along with current conditions.
- Receive push-based email, appointments, and contacts from Outlook.com(formerly Hotmail)—all conveniently delivered right into your Outlook experience.
- The navigation bar speeds up communication. Use it to open your email, calendar, contacts, and tasks fast. Everything you need is there.
- Stay in the know. Get the very latest updates automatically from people in the social networks you rely on most—LinkedIn, Facebook, and others.
- With a single click, instantly see what's on your calendar today, next week, or next month. Choose from several intuitive ways to filter, arrange, and work with your email.
1 gigahertz (Ghz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
Required Operating System
Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012
1 GB RAM (32 bit); 2 GB RAM (64 bit)
Required Hard Disk Space
3.0 GB available
Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card and 1024 x 576 resolution
3.5, 4.0, or 4.5
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, or 10; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or a later version; Apple Safari 5; or Google Chrome 17.x.
A touch-enabled device is required to use any multi-touch functionality. However, all features and functionality are always available by using a keyboard, mouse, or other standard or accessible input device. Note that new touch features are optimised for use with Windows 8.
Additional requirements and considerations
Some functionality may vary, based on the system configuration. Some features may require additional or advanced hardware or server connectivity.
Instant Search requires Windows Search 4.0.
Be sure to connect Outlook 2013 to the supported versions of Exchange: Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010, or Exchange Server 2013. Outlook 2013 is not supported on Exchange 2003.
Some features require Exchange Server 2013 and Lync Server 2013.
For a list of some new Outlook 2013 features that are enabled with Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 see What's new in Outlook 2013.
Office Communicator 2007 R2, Microsoft Lync 2010 and Lync 2013 are supported with Outlook 2013. Office Communicator 2005 and Office Communicator 2007 are not supported.
Certain inking features require Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Speech recognition functionality requires a close-talk microphone and audio output device Information Rights Management features require access to a computer that runs Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012 and Windows Rights Management Services.
Dynamic calendars require server connectivity.
Note: System requirements are rounded up to the nearest 0.5 GB, to be conservative. For example, if we measure an application’s required hard disk space to be 1.99 GB, we recommend 2.5 GB of disk space. Our hard disk system requirements are intentionally larger than the actual disk space usage of the software.
A graphics processor helps increase the performance of certain features, such as drawing tables in Excel 2013 or transitions, animations, and video integration in PowerPoint 2013. Use of a graphics processor with Office 2013 requires a Microsoft DirectX 10-compliant graphics processor that has 64 MB of video memory. These processors were widely available in 2007. Most computers that are available today include a graphics processor that meets or exceeds this standard. However, if you or your users do not have a graphics processor, you can still run Office 2013.